metin2dev
Metin2International
.PolluX

Discussion about m2dev

Hello,

the metin2dev administration is thinking about some changes of our rules and the forum itself which will affect all of you - and also may benefit you. First of all i want to give you an overview of our thoughts:

• the Services Section

Sometimes it is a mess for you to reach the 50 posts to post your service. Especially for users which are registered for a long time. That's why we want to change this. One example: If you're reigstered for at least 6 months you are allowed to create a thread in our Services section without having 50 posts. But we keep to review every single thread.

• the Tech Section

Do you think we need this section? Or do you think we can optimize it in any way? We think it isn't necessary to have this section with a lot of sub-sections because most of it isn't in use, it's some kind of dead.

• Forum languages

We are an international forum so our language is english. But what do you think about some more languages? Should we translate the forum frontend into german, romanian, ... ? - this could give us the possibility to have our rules and the frontend in some more languages to help users which are using google translator because they didn't learn english. But keep in mind that we won't allow the use of any other language than english in your posts and threads.

• Questions and Answers

I personally don't like this section because it is a mess. You don't see which thread is answered with an appropriate answer and on the other hand you don't see which still need a good answer. We have two(three) possible solutions for this:

1. Users can ask questions that other users can post answers to. Answers can then be rated by other users and the highest rated answers are shown first.
  2. We create a sub-section named "Answered" in which we move all answered questions.
  3. A combination of 1. & 2.

But before we change any of these things we would like to hear your opinion. Maybe you also have an idea/advice to tell us? Any concerns?

Take part in this discussion!

Sincerly,
the metin2dev administration

• Like 7

Good thoughts! Its nice to hear (and important) that you want to improve this place!

For me, it's the only "board" with users on a high level of knowledge and the only right place which can be used if you have a problem or sharing your knowledge. In the past there were a few points which have made me leave m2dev because of the assumption that the Team isn't take this board and the users seriously. That's past history now and I'm happy that you are incorporate with the community this way.

My thoughts about the points:

- the Services Section
that's the right way.

- the Tech Section
Generally I noticed that some users don't know where to post problems so far.
For example, you have problems in PHP, you could post it in "Questions and Answers" and "Web Development".

I think to delete or minify the tec section is good but keep in view the following:

It should be very clear where to post when having a problem.
For my understanding its better to post it in "Questions and Answers" because this is the place for "all" Questions in my mind (maybe you can require the set of tags for a better overview: "PHP", "C++", "General", "SQL/DB" ...).

Another important thing: If you delete the whole tec section it should be clear where to publish (for example) a Script, CMS, useful codesnippes etc in several programming-languages which was in the tec section before:
If developer create things, it is (in most cases) for metin2. So the metin2 sections could be the right place but i don't see a good section for it. "Services" ->; maybe, because it's a free service but not the right place i personally wish to post these things

Releases section -> rather than metin2 section! But where? "Tools", "Scripts"? Not really. So if you delete the whole tec section please create a place for web development releases. I know the whole section isn't very active but dont forget that many web development questions are already posted in "Questions and Answers".

- Forum languages
100% agree. Maybe a hint when creating a thread or a post like "Please write only in English language" would be cool to avoid that users post their concerns in the "selected fronted language".

- Questions and Answers
Nice idea! A combination of 1. & 2 would be cool + the "tag" feature I mentioned for the point "Tech Section" for a better overview.

• Like 3

Regarding "Questions and answers". Wouldn't it be best if you can create a coloured tag [SOLVED] and a red tag [OPEN] so everyone can see if the question is already done or not? Of course this may require some cleanup from mods since users won't always set a thread to solved... But I think this way you have a better overview and if you search the board you can see similar topics which may have been answered.

• Like 3

@.PolluX Good to hear that from you.

Metin2Dev is something where you can share your ideas with others or ask others to solve your problem. I literally love this place.
It gave a lot to my knowledge about everything. This board really can helps you to improve your skills.
And I'm happy that we have those "staff guys" who are making interest in community.

the Services Section

I can't write any other thing till "Agree!". Nothing to add.

the Tech Section

Whole stuffs about releases ale totally confusing. We have C++, Python, Binaries & Clients/Serverfiles, Guides & HowTo, Design, 2D Graphics and many others.
But what is the main difference between C++ and Guides & HowTo or Design and 2D Graphics. I didn't find any. Maybe we cloud do new sections for releases like this:

• Client Binary
  • Client
  • Server Core
  • Server Files
  • 3D Models
  • 2D Graphics
  • Web Development
  • FreeBSD & MySQL
  • Tools
  • Others

Which could include prefixes like C++, Python, LUA, PHP, Assembler... through which you can sort them. I think this could really help clarity.

Next problem are dead links. Basically here is totally worth solution. The download section. Why doesn't people use that? Should you more propagate it?

Forum languages

Yes, there are a lot of countries which found love in Metin2 development. In main way Germany, Hungary, Poland, Turkey, Romania and Czechia.
But what about someone will add tutorial only in (don't hate me) hungarian? How can others use that? Here STILL should be rule that content must be in english!

Questions and Answers

I love stackoverflow system. You can rate others answers and the best one is showing like first answer in topic.
And if your problem is solved, you just mark it as solved.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Chyu ^^:

Next problem are dead links. Basically here is totally worth solution. The download section. Why doesn't people use that? Should you more propagate it?

This is a great idea! Maybe implement a button in WYSIWYG Editor? Would be very cool when stuff is hosted at m2dev to avoid dead links as long as the space is given :P. Is it possible to update a file in the download section for a user atm? This should be a must have (if you have not already implemented). When having versioning in delopment, it is important to update the download file (never used the download section so far, so i dont know).

6 minutes ago, Ayaka said:

This is a great idea! Maybe implement a button in WYSIWYG Editor? Would be very cool when stuff is hosted at m2dev to avoid dead links as long as the space is given :P. Is it possible to update a file in the download section for a user atm? This should be a must have (if you have not already implemented). When having versioning in delopment, it is important to update the download file (never used the download section so far, so i dont know).

The problem about hosting our own space is the high usage of disk space and traffic, but I will evaluate it what is possible.

vor einer Stunde schrieb DevChuckNorris:

The problem about hosting our own space is the high usage of disk space and traffic, but I will evaluate it what is possible.

You could limit the upload file size to avoid that user upload too big files. For special projects like Vanilla Core there could be a request formular for bigger uploads. I dont know what can be done but i think self hosting is the best way to avoid deadlinks.

I know that more space and traffic is a price question. If there is a way to support the board (donate button?), you should imptement it.

• Like 1

I evaluated some possibilites.

My favorite idea is to provide a new platform (e.g. under up.metin2dev.org) which uses the forum accounts.

You can upload to it any files you want to and every user gets 5GB of space (except blue rank users who get 50GB of space).

Every file will then be stored in an OpenStack Object Storage. This will be okay for the price, also I will implement then a donation button for this platform.

For make the costs a little bit more transparent I can say that this will costs me 1 cent / GB / month for storage and 1 cent / GB download traffic.

Is this a good idea?

• Like 4

I don't think so. We do not want to offer another file hoster, we want to offer a different solution to our Downloadssection.

Also i don't think that you really need 5GBs of Space if you don't share lots of clients.

Or do i take something wrong here?

• Like 2

I've got an idea. Today I went through the Q&A section and I've seen so many questions which could be answered very easily, but I guess if the person didn't put much effort in searching for a solution, why should we answer him (My perspective)?

Add a simple check where people would approve they have searched for a solution. Maybe a simple tip in the right corner (http://epvpimg.com/w5Jacab) to tell people to post their error logs (Or any other material which could help us solve the problem) as well, many of them just asks straight without doing that.

There will still be those who will ignore the message, but the number of those rookie questions would definitely decline. In the end of the day, what does it cost you to do it?

Kind Regards, Sonitex

• Like 1