metin2dev
Sign in to follow this  
theacastus

linux M2 port from FreeBSD to Debian (8/9)

Spoiler

Hi,

I found my self a new friend with his help I can do some work - I am not alone to all of the M2 related stuff alone, so it helps a lot :)

I want to port M2 to Debian - as I say, some kind of normal/regular OS, not that BSD bullsh...

So I am wondering which libraries have to be ported? I 

I think stuff from compat7x, for the BSD stuff. But I think there is more to that.

I have seen tutorials to run M2 on Windows, but It is almost the same as FreeBSD... i want some good linux OS, if not Debian, ubuntu should be good either.

I hope that there is someone out there who can help me. 

Thanks. 

btw. I found this but I am not sure if it can help me or not.

https://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

I would like to apologize for the post above. I have never worked in FreeBSD for period of time longer. I have done some research about FreeBSD and I agree about most of the things written down bellow - I didnt try much, but as I read, I found out it is great OS and I am thing about installing it to my RPi for home server.

Litte back story for what I have wrote. A few people who I know and has far more bigger with Linux/Unix based operating systems (one of them work for IBM as unix support - he hates freebsd, mostly because of M2 noobs, like me...). And when you are surrounded by people who don't like the OS, one more time I am sorry for this hate that I have shared.

Why Debian ? Well I am more comfortable with the way it works, it's package manager. But as I watched the rise of newer versions (7,8 and 9) after release the kernel was unstable and I waited around a year before upgrading. The kernel get fixed after few (2-3) months, but the packages are junk even after 10 months (some of them). So I still run my server on Debian 8.

How is BSD bullshit compared to debian/ubuntu like you wrote?

This is 2017, both have basically the same software and features. 

Well, I dont like the way FreeBSD works. Simply I feel more confortable with way the Debian is desing and I think it has more packages, etc.

FreeBSD bull***? You don't know what you're saying.

*BSD are the most stable OS for Server Environment. I know what I am saying, I work as a sysadmin in a Datacenter and I face a lot of issues with the latest Ubuntu's, Debian's and so on...

The problem with the Metin2 Source is that it uses old dependencies, that's it's problem.

FreeBSD as a lot of good stuff for example Jails which are far more mature than Docker and LXC, better Firewall with PF or IPFW, CARP, HAST, ZFS... Their Kernel is more clean and stable than other Linux Kernel.

You are free to ask for help in that porting just don't say wrong things about FreeBSD which aren't true.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2017 at 3:55 PM, theacastus said:

Hi,

I found my self a new friend with his help I can do some work - I am not alone to all of the M2 related stuff alone, so it helps a lot :)

I want to port M2 to Debian - as I say, some kind of normal/regular OS, not that BSD bullsh...

So I am wondering which libraries have to be ported? I 

I think stuff from compat7x, for the BSD stuff. But I think there is more to that.

I have seen tutorials to run M2 on Windows, but It is almost the same as FreeBSD... i want some good linux OS, if not Debian, ubuntu should be good either.

I hope that there is someone out there who can help me. 

Thanks. 

btw. I found this but I am not sure if it can help me or not.

https://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

Hello. You clearly have no idea on what you're talking because compat7x is not required on linux.

CompatXx are libraries ment to make compatible old freebsd applicaton with new one.

I don't know someone who use them today (we build metin2 from source, compatXx are not required).

What you really need to port are some usefull BSD function that dosen't exist in linux (strl*).

Also you will have a windows-like file server, without the ability to use game99 and other great feature that only FreeBSD had because ymir decided to use kqueue inteasted of any open-source library.

Some other stuff (i'm supposing the networking identification) need to be ported. For now, most of metin2 libraries are open-source, you don't really need to port them. You need to focus on metin2 server because it's the onliest that isn't compatible with it.

@arves100, @Suspect

Guys, I have to say I was blind. Thank you for your time taken by replying to my topic. I want to learn some FreeBSD now, so if you have any advices... If you have something like security guidlines and beginner and basic stuff.

I would like to apologize for the post above. I have never worked in FreeBSD for period of time longer. I have done some research about FreeBSD and I agree about most of the things written down bellow - I didnt try much, but as I read, I found out it is great OS and I am thing about installing it to my RPi for home server.

Litte back story for what I have wrote. A few people who I know and has far more bigger with Linux/Unix based operating systems (one of them work for IBM as unix support - he hates freebsd, mostly because of M2 noobs, like me...). And when you are surrounded by people who don't like the OS, one more time I am sorry for this hate that I have shared.

Why Debian ? Well I am more comfortable with the way it works, it's package manager. But as I watched the rise of newer versions (7,8 and 9) after release the kernel was unstable and I waited around a year before upgrading. The kernel get fixed after few (2-3) months, but the packages are junk even after 10 months (some of them). So I still run my server on Debian 8.

Basicly it's the same as debian but with this change:

apt-get becomes pkg

there's a system configuration tool called bsdconfig

If you want something better, you should check the FreeBSD Handbook

Btw i successfully compiled metin2 game into Ubuntu, but never tested it. Just for saying that it's possible to do that