metin2dev
Shogun

PF Sample Config

Hello,

As I had just posted the file without any explanation of it, which is not really useful unless you are already familiar with pf, I have added a little tutorial.

This is a sample pf.conf file that you can use as a base to create your own for your Metin2 FreeBSDserver. As you can see it was originally made by Tim and I have used it ever since on my server.

If you host your website in a different IP address than your game server, it's a good idea to add it's IP to the trusted_hosts table (you can remove the dummy address that I placed there safely). Any host that you want to have "free access", that is, skip firewall rules, should be added there. IP addresses must be separated by commas.

Only the ports that you specify under service_ports and game_ports will be open. service_ports should generally include your SSH port, and 80 if you are running a web server.

We also apply packet scrubbing and a limit on the number of connections, both measures helpful against certain types of attacks.

Although this configuration allows UDP for ServerCheck to work, it is a good idea to completely block UDP, although you may need to change the login screen if you use a standard login so it doesn't show your channels as offline.

# pf config by Tim Niederhausen

# Change the value to reflect your public interface. You can see this with ifconfig.
ext_if="eth0"

# Ports used for services
service_ports="{ 22, 80 }"

# Ports used by Metin2
game_ports="{ 11002, 13001, 13002, 13003, 13004, 13099 }"

# IP addresses that should override the firewall rules, such as your web server.
table <trusted_hosts> const { 175.65.3.19 }

table <abusive_hosts> persist

set block-policy drop
set loginterface $ext_if
set skip on lo

scrub on $ext_if reassemble tcp no-df random-id

antispoof quick for { lo0 $ext_if }

block in

pass out all keep state
pass out on $ext_if all modulate state

pass in quick from <trusted_hosts>
block in quick from <abusive_hosts>

# Allow ping in
pass in inet proto icmp all icmp-type echoreq

# Rate limits, trial and error
pass in on $ext_if proto tcp to any port $service_ports flags S/SA keep state 
        (max-src-conn 30, max-src-conn-rate 15/5, overload <abusive_hosts> flush)

pass in on $ext_if proto {tcp,udp} to any port $game_ports flags S/SA keep state 

To completely block UDP on the firewall change this line:

pass in on $ext_if proto {tcp,udp} to any port $game_ports flags S/SA keep state 

to

pass in on $ext_if proto tcp to any port $game_ports flags S/SA keep state 
  • Like 8

I have added a little explanation of the file on the first post. Here's also a

PF Quickstart Guide

To enable pf on your server, you can follow these steps after you have saved the pf.conf file. Be careful not to lock yourself out with wrong firewall rules, it's a good idea to add your own IP address to trusted_hosts if you are unsure of your changes.

kldload pf
pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf

If everything is correct it should display this:

No ALTQ support in kernel
ALTQ related functions disabled

To load pf on every boot add this line to /etc/rc.conf:

pf_enable="YES"

Managing the IP ban list

To show all banned IPs:

pfctl -t abusive_hosts -T show

To ban an IP:

pfctl -t abusive_hosts -T add 8.8.8.8

To unban an IP:

pfctl -t abusive_hosts -T delete 8.8.8.8

To unban all IPs:

pfctl -t abusive_hosts -T flush
  • Like 2

And the port 15000 ?

Port 15000 should never be publicly open! Only the game cores need to connect to it, not your users. In fact it's a security risk as anybody can create an auth server which connects to your db core and login any account they want on your server.

i think to know that the rule had to be like this

(source-track rule, max-src-conn 30, max-src-conn-rate 15/5, overload <abusive_hosts> flush)

I'm not completly sure, but i think "max-src-conn" and "conn-rate" can't take affect without sourcetrackrule

So i have a question. How can i approach this task. I want to reject all conections wich are for more than 3 seconds synchronizing? Or these connections which are lagging for more than 15sec?

So i have a question. How can i approach this task. I want to reject all conections wich are for more than 3 seconds synchronizing? Or these connections which are lagging for more than 15sec?

I don't think that's even possible.

• Like 1

At line 4 you write: ext_if="eth0"

If I do "ifconfig", there's nothing with eth0 so I have to change?

Regards

You have to change to whatever the name of the public interface is:

For example here my public interface is called re0

208106ff93.png

• Like 1

You have to change to whatever the name of the public interface is:

For example here my public interface is called re0

208106ff93.png

Juan, You are showing your servers ip address.

A new sample config for a FreeBSD server running nginx with cloudflare and teamspeak.

If you want to use the bruteforce protection feature, install the sshguard-pf package (/usr/ports/security/sshguard-pf)

ext_if="igb0"
service_ports="{ 22,80,443,10011,30033 }"
udp_ports="{ 9987 }"
table <trusted_hosts> persist file "/var/db/trusted_hosts"
table <sshguard> persist
icmp_types = "{ echoreq, unreach }"

set block-policy drop
set loginterface $ext_if
set optimization aggressive
set limit { frags 32000, states 64000 }
set skip on lo

scrub on $ext_if all random-id min-ttl 64 max-mss 1440 set-tos reliability reassemble tcp fragment reassemble

block in

block in quick on $ext_if proto tcp from <sshguard> to any port 22 label "ssh bruteforce"

pass out all keep state

pass inet proto icmp all icmp-type $icmp_types keep state

pass in on $ext_if proto tcp to any port $service_ports flags S/SA synproxy state 
        (max-src-conn 50, max-src-conn-rate 25/5, overload <abusive_hosts> flush global)

pass in on $ext_if proto udp to any port $udp_ports keep state (max-src-states 5, max-src-conn-rate 5/5, overload <abusive_hosts> flush)

In /var/db/trusted_hosts, Cloudflare:

199.27.128.0/21
173.245.48.0/20
103.21.244.0/22
103.22.200.0/22
103.31.4.0/22
141.101.64.0/18
108.162.192.0/18
190.93.240.0/20
188.114.96.0/20
197.234.240.0/22
198.41.128.0/17
162.158.0.0/15
104.16.0.0/12
2400:cb00::/32
2606:4700::/32
2803:f800::/32
2405:b500::/32
2405:8100::/32
  • Like 2

A new sample config for a FreeBSD server running nginx with cloudflare and teamspeak.

If you want to use the bruteforce protection feature, install the sshguard-pf package (/usr/ports/security/sshguard-pf)

ext_if="igb0"
service_ports="{ 22,80,443,10011,30033 }"
udp_ports="{ 9987 }"
table <trusted_hosts> persist file "/var/db/trusted_hosts"
table <sshguard> persist
icmp_types = "{ echoreq, unreach }"

set block-policy drop
set loginterface $ext_if
set optimization aggressive
set limit { frags 32000, states 64000 }
set skip on lo

scrub on $ext_if all random-id min-ttl 64 max-mss 1440 set-tos reliability reassemble tcp fragment reassemble

block in

block in quick on $ext_if proto tcp from <sshguard> to any port 22 label "ssh bruteforce"

pass out all keep state

pass inet proto icmp all icmp-type $icmp_types keep state

pass in on $ext_if proto tcp to any port $service_ports flags S/SA synproxy state 
        (max-src-conn 50, max-src-conn-rate 25/5, overload <abusive_hosts> flush global)

pass in on $ext_if proto udp to any port $udp_ports keep state (max-src-states 5, max-src-conn-rate 5/5, overload <abusive_hosts> flush)

In /var/db/trusted_hosts, Cloudflare:

199.27.128.0/21
173.245.48.0/20
103.21.244.0/22
103.22.200.0/22
103.31.4.0/22
141.101.64.0/18
108.162.192.0/18
190.93.240.0/20
188.114.96.0/20
197.234.240.0/22
198.41.128.0/17
162.158.0.0/15
104.16.0.0/12
2400:cb00::/32
2606:4700::/32
2803:f800::/32
2405:b500::/32
2405:8100::/32

Thanks fot this :D

• Like 1

You are welcome let me know if you have any question.

The configuration is made by MartPwnS and me based on the original one by Tim which you can find in the first post.

For me,don`t work I copy and paste your config and : No ALTQ support in kernel ALTQ related functions disabled /etc/pf.conf:41: syntax error pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded The problems is at : Rate limits, trial and error pass in on $ext_if proto tcp to any port $service_ports flags S/SA keep state (max-src-conn 30, max-src-conn-rate 15/5, overload flush) pass in on $ext_if proto {tcp,udp} to any port $game_ports flags S/SA keep state (max-src-conn 30, max-src-conn-rate 15/5, overload flush)

The original config (and the modified one too!) uses states to keep track of open connections. The state table however, is by default limited to 10000 entries (FreeBSD 10.1 amd64), which could lead to problems during medium-/large-scale attacks, since new connections will be dropped once the table is full.

I usually use the following memory pool limits for PF:

set limit { states 100000, frags 20000, src-nodes 100000, table-entries 200000 }

Raising the table-entries limit is also a good idea if you have dynamically filled tables of "bad hosts", same goes for src-nodes.

It's also recommended to have a few whitelisted static IPs, whose traffic is passed unconditionally and stateless.

e.g.:

table <ovh> const { 213.186.33.13, 213.186.50.100 }

pass in quick on $ext_if from <ovh> to any no state
  • Like 4